Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Like Integration Added

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

Exclamation Facebook Like Integration Added

I have integrated the facebook 'like' button to every post in the forums. Admins, this would be a good time to tell you NOT to push that like button inside administrator only forums.

I had to hack through the new security I had installed on the server to get the buttons even to work without sending people on facebook to a warning page and IP banning them on the spot when the like button was clicked. You might have noticed the buttons appearing and disappearing quite a few times while I attempted to punch through the security wall in place.

I created an exception for facebook, so it should work properly now. Let me know if you get any warning pages and if for any reason you can't access the forums because it thinks you are trying to SQL injection attack it, email me and I'll take your ip out of the ban list.

Please, let me know if the like buttons are working properly by clicking them and testing it out.

Also let me know what you think of my adding them into posts.
    Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Manufacturer: Intel
    Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Category: Extreme
    Generation: 10th
    Brand: Core i7 3rd Gen
    Cores: 12
    Your CPU ranks in the 100th percentile.
    Out of 3,088,637 Intel processor tests, your processor is more powerful than 3,082,798.

Banned
    Steam Name
    Thebirches76

Pretty cool, wasn't expecting something like this to appear on the forums.

Steam Name
    sn1p3r001

Stick-in-the-mud Roo thinks it's a bad idea. It serves no real useful purpose, and the only thing it does is open up one more possibility for security issues in the future.

You said so yourself, Sir - admins don't click it on admin forums. 3/4 of our forums are meant to be for members only, and the other quarter requires registration to view. It's that way for a reason; why should we open it up if we have built-in functions to serve similar purposes (reputation and/or thread rating) already in place on the forums that don't pose any security risks?

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

I figured we could try it out and see how it goes. Squad and department leaders will make sure their members aren't clicking like on forums that they don't want anyone else to see. I don't really know of anything internally besides that, that would be a huge problem getting out to the public.
    Out of 3,088,637 Intel processor tests, your processor is more powerful than 3,082,798.

Steam Name
    timpar3

On the other hand... It is a good way to get random people to see our page. It's good for branching out, but as everyone mentioned, we need to be careful.

I will test it more when I get home.

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

Actually, I haven't tested it out. I am thinking if someone from facebook does click on the link and they don't have permissions to see the internal forums, they won't be able to see the post. It should give them an error page when they try to read it.

Perhaps someone can test this out and see for sure by clicking like on an internal post and then trying to view it as an unregistered user (And perhaps an admin can use a test account which has only members forum permissions can see a liked internal page he does not have access to).

I do not think the forums permissions system will allow anyone to see what's behind closed doors that they do not have usergroup permission to view.

Banned
    Steam Name
    Thebirches76

I'll mess around with it and see what I can find out.

Banned
    Steam Name
    Thebirches76

Just tried to view a member only post with my own test account and turns out it redirects me to the page saying I don't have the permissions to view it. I have the same mindset as Timpar, if someone is to like a post which you don't actually need to be a member to read, it can be another way for people to find us.

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

Yea I figured that's what it would do. The forums are pretty secure, no one should be able to get into anything internal.

Steam Name
    timpar3

Wondering.. Does UAF have a Facebook page? If not, can we make one? I'd volunteer to run/co-run it with others.

Thread Information