Thread: Keep an eye out

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

Default Keep an eye out

I'm working on memory allocation on the server and I need to know if there are any server hiccups. The server will likely go down some while I work on it, but I'll also need to know if it goes down when I'm not working on it.

If it goes down, please mark the time (UAF Time) that it went down and send me an email or PM along with the time it happened so I know it wasn't while I was working on it. Also explain what it did. (Error message or whatever).

Thanks.
    Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Manufacturer: Intel
    Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Category: Extreme
    Generation: 10th
    Brand: Core i7 3rd Gen
    Cores: 12
    Your CPU ranks in the 100th percentile.
    Out of 3,088,637 Intel processor tests, your processor is more powerful than 3,082,798.

Colonel
    Retired
    Retired  Colonel
    Steam Name
    ashot12

roger roger

Master Corporal Gold
    R6S Division
    R6S Master Corporal Gold
    Uplay Name
    L_Cypherus.UAF
    Battle.net ID
    LCypherus
    Steam Name
    L_Cypherus

Will do

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

It looks like I've solved the memory issue, at least for now. With the work I'm doing, we will eventually run out of RAM in spite of server optimization, but I've free'd up 350+ Megs of RAM out of our 768 Megs installed. That's a pretty big change.

I optimized the crud out of the server. Spent 15 hours straight (Non stop) last night working on it and perfecting the server settings, PHP and SQL settings, switched the PHP handler to fastCGI, altered the number of threads that are allowed to run at once, altered the lifetime of the processes, altered the swap file settings, max requests per child, max clients value, turned off unnecessary logging and stats monitoring, removed unnecessary server modules, turned off keep alive, turned off all unnecessary mail functions (If anyone is having problems with the server mail system let me know), Turned off quota warnings and quota monitoring, turned off all notification settings, reduced max emails per domain per hour to cut the chances of email attacks overloading reources, optimized and repaired all database tables on all sites across the server, turned on PHP/SQL caching, reduced the number of SQL processes, optimized the my.cnf configuration file settings, enabled piped log configuration.

That's just to name a few. I'm still doing some modifications to all the PHP scripts on all the sites across the server. I'm also thinking about re-programming the site code to use less PHP includes as PHP includes use up quite a bit of RAM but I'll look at the code and see if it can be done without re-coding the entire structure. When I originally coded it in 2005 I didn't realize they used so many resources. At the time my main concern was making it as easy as possible for other webteam members to update.

Anyway, if the server goes down some for a minute or two don't panic. When I work on all this, I have to restart the server to make the changes go into effect. Sometimes I might forget to start Teamspeak back up (I have to start that manually in putty each time I restart the server) so if that happens just remind me and I'll bring it back up.
    Out of 3,088,637 Intel processor tests, your processor is more powerful than 3,082,798.

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

Just installed and configured a php caching program. Let me know if the site/forums seem to load faster or not.

Steam Name
    timpar3

TS is down around 4:30 PM EST (1:30 UAF)

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

Thanks, that's helpful.

Thread Information