Thread: *important* all read

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

HC Post *important* all read

Just a heads up,

As some of you know we are currently hosted on a virtual private server at hostgator that I pay 51 bucks a month for. This server is slow, only has 768 megs of RAM and a crappy single core processor and a crappy 30 gig hard disk drive. (Hard disk drives are much slower than solid state drives) The operating system uses over 600 Megs of RAM so we kept exceeding our RAM allotment causing server crashes.

Hostgator said that I should get a dedicated server for 250 bucks a month or more which would only give us around 4 Gigs of RAM, so I set about to build a professional grade webserver on my own.

I've built a powerful server with a six core Xeon (Server Grade) I-7 with 12 virtual cores, 16 Gigs of quad channel RAM (4 channels), 500 Gig solid state drive with over 500 MBPS read/write speeds and a 1.5 terabyte hard disk drive for backups and other things.

Even with this great build, I came across a problem. One cannot become their own webhost without dedicated business grade internet service. Residential internet does not have fast enough upload speeds to host a webserver, and they like to block all the ports necessary for a webserver to be possible. Even if you can unblock those ports, if you host a webserver and they find out about it they will shut off your internet service as it's against their terms.

So, I've purchased dedicated business class internet, all the licenses necessary to run Cpanel/WHM software and 5 dedicated IP addresses.

I've installed CentOS linux operating system to the server, assigned it its own dedicated IP using 1 to 1 network address translation and then created a virtual server inside that operating system using KVM and installed another CentOS operating system which runs inside KVM and acts as the 'Guest' and assigned the guest its own dedicated IP separate from the main Host operating system.

So essentially I have two operating systems, one host and one guest. Guest is running in a window inside the Host with its own operating system and IP address.

I then installed WHM/Cpanel onto the guest and have configured it and moved my companies website over to it to test it out and make sure it works well.

If it does, I will then transfer all of the websites on the current server over to my self hosted PC and ditch the VPS we have on hostgator currently.

The bills will be in the hundreds per month, but I have some clients who are paying me for hosting, revenue from ads and sometimes donations from you guys so that should help mitigate the damages. Plus, we won't have to pay tons of money to keep upgrading to new dedicated servers because if I ever run out of resources on this box I can just build a new server or upgrade the hardware on this one. = )

Now, I've put some thought beforehand into security so I've not only assigned my personal computers a separate IP address than the server and its guest but my personal computers are sitting behind its own router and NAT. The server and its host is plugged into its own router and NAT completely separate from my personal PC's.

Plus, the server is running within virtualization. So even if someone hacks the server, they will be contained within the KVM virtual machine. They won't even be able to hack into the host that's running the virtual machine because the guest (Or server) is self contained within the system.

I can create as many guest accounts as I like, running their own operating systems and server software on the same machine with their own IP addresses. I plan on doing this down the road when I'm making more money from renting space out to clients and doing SEO.

In conclusion, you may notice some downtime in the next few weeks as I get everything switched over and stabilized. Don't be alarmed if things go down, just think back about what I've said in this email and remain calm and collected, checking back ever so often to see if things are up again.

If things do go down, email me at wolfcry044@gmail.com but also keep in mind that I am and will be actively working on it. There's no way I could express to you how complex what I'm doing is and on how many levels so try to be patient and understanding.

Thank you.
    Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Manufacturer: Intel
    Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Category: Extreme
    Generation: 10th
    Brand: Core i7 3rd Gen
    Cores: 12
    Your CPU ranks in the 100th percentile.
    Out of 3,088,637 Intel processor tests, your processor is more powerful than 3,082,798.

Colonel
    Retired
    Retired  Colonel
    Steam Name
    ashot12

sounds..... complicated... good luck!

Clan Founder

General of the Army
    Steam Name
    Wolfcry044

You have no idea.........
    Thanks. It's all working and running great. The only problem I've got left is that although the server is visible to the entire world, it is not in fact visible to any of my computers plugged into the gateway modem. I have my ISP support team looking into why that is, as the configurations in the modem/router are on my end perfect as far as I can tell.

The good thing is, that doesn't affect anyone except me. I have to broadcast internet from my phone to my PC so that I can access the WHM/Cpanel administration panels but that's just until I can figure out what's wrong with my local network that's disallowing anything on the local network to access the ports locally.

Anywho, my business website it switched over, I'm just waiting for the DNS servers to propagate so I can see that it works and is running stable. After that I can finish up configuring the server and port everything over from our current server. = )
    Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Manufacturer: Intel
    Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Category: Extreme
    Generation: 10th
    Brand: Core i7 3rd Gen
    Cores: 12
    Your CPU ranks in the 100th percentile.
    Out of 3,088,637 Intel processor tests, your processor is more powerful than 3,082,798.

Thread Information